The Gospel is a Gospel of Change
Hello all!
This week has been one of spiritual growth and progression. Not only in myself have I seen this, but also in those of Elder Carroll and other investigators. I have truly gained a stronger witness that the gospel of Jesus Christ is one of change. I've learned that by doing our part we are able to grow immensely and experience the joy that comes through abiding by the principles of the gospel.
While on my mission I have had the opportunity to talk to many people in poor situations. Some dealing with drug or alcohol addictions (weed is so common here.....), some are in horrible financial troubles, some with poor relationships, some running into trouble with the law, etc. As we have been able to talk with these people and share the message of Jesus Christ, I have discovered how much it can benefit them. Ultimately, however, it is their decision. They are the ones who choose to act or be passive.
I have noticed a difference in these people. Those who chose to be passive, whether it be not living up to commitments.... or not doing anything.... they do not reap the benefits of following God's council. They stay in their habits, in the comfort of their addictions, and do not feel the joy and peace and change that comes from the gospel. On the contrary, those who have acted in their part, who have accepted our commitments, and have taken their first steps of faith and strive to become better, to become more Christlike, and to change their weaknesses into strengths, they are the ones who gain the most. I have seen them take steps out of depression. I have seen them climbing out of their ruts, addictions. Each and every one that has tried has seen God blessing their lives. I have seen their frowns changed to smiles, and their lives full of more peace, love, and happiness than any of them could have imagined.
My testimony has grown so much as I have dedicated myself to the Lord. I know these two months that I've been here have truly changed my life. I constantly strive to be better everyday. I've tried to study a little bit more, to do more kind acts throughout the day, to strengthen my relationship with God, and many more. I've seen my joy, love, and testimony grow more than ever as I take the time to serve those around me. I have truly changed.
I know we cannot all be serving all day, everyday. That is an unrealistic and high expectation. It is impossible. However, we can be kind. We can smile. We can express our love toward those we care about. In the small and simple things, we can make the world of a difference to someone. I know that as we do these things, we will see abundant blessings in our lives. We will become happier and more fulfilled as we focus on others.
Happiness is a choice, and it is up to us to decide; are we going to let our shortcoming's rule our life, or are we going to put our trust in the Lord, Gird up our loins, and get to work. Through the grace of God, our shortcoming's do not have to rule us. We can repent and change our lives, therefore putting the Joy and Happiness that comes through Christ and our Heavenly Father before my own selfish inadequacies.
I bear my testimony that the gospel of Jesus Christ is a Gospel of change. Through Him, and with Him, we can become more than we could ever imagine. I know that this is possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ. None of us are perfect, but we eventually can be. I say these things in Christ's name. Amen.
Invitation of the Week
Find a time and serve someone! Write down your experience.
"Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn how to serve. When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we put our own problems in a fresher perspective. When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! In the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves! [See Matthew 10:39.]
Not only do we “find” ourselves in terms of acknowledging divine guidance in our lives, but the more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls. We become more significant individuals as we serve others. We become more substantive as we serve others—indeed, it is easier to “find” ourselves because there is so much more of us to find!" (Teachings of Presidents: Spencer W. Kimball, 85)
Love you all!
Elder Burns
England Manchester Mission
Springwood, Suite G5
Booths Park
Chelford Road
Knutsford
England WA16 8GS
United Kingdom



Comments
Post a Comment