The Spirit of God, Like a Fire is Burning!
Hi all!
This last week was so busy! Well, at least it was supposed to be. We had a lot of teaching appointments scheduled, however, we received some colder temperatures, snow came in, and the cold began spreading! Don't worry, I didn't get anything *touch wood*, but many of those we planned to teach were affected
so it wasn't as busy, but still a lot of running around, phone calls, and lesson prep.
The week definitely culminated to the most spiritually powerful Sabbath day of my mission!
It all started in the morning. We prayed that the spirit would be especially felt at church. It was fast and testimony meeting, and they truly shared their testimonies, not travelogues or sermons. The spirit from those simple testimonies was immensely powerful and touching. After the meeting finished, it remained reverently quiet. When people talked, it was in a respectful and hushed tone. I don't think it was because they felt obligated, but because they were feeling the peace of the spirit. That spirit continued into Sunday School as we discussed the baptism of Christ and the fruits of repentance.
Moving from church, we had a new-member fireside in Chorley. From this experience, we learned that God works in mysterious ways and knows the hearts of his children.
We have a rule in the EMM (England Manchester Mission) that in order to attend these firesides, we must have someone we are teaching with us. We weren't afraid, because we had 2 cars and 5 people lined up! Until about 3-4 hours before when all of them had to drop due to sickness and other reasons. Elder Heaton and I immediately prayed for a miracle and that Cherie would be able to feel well enough to come. However, God didn't answer how we wanted. He answered how He needed.
We felt immediately to call Gio. We never thought of inviting him, and didn't think he would be able to, however, we followed the prompting and he came!! It was honestly exactly what he needed!
I can tell you that this fireside was unlike any other in my life. The spirit was palpably present and strong. For me, it was one of the strongest manifestations of truth and the spirit that I've experienced in my life. Words can't express the way I felt. As recent converts shared their simple testimonies, founded in Christ, God's plan, and the restoration of the Gospel, the spirit touched every heart in that building. President McReynolds even said, "I don't know how you could not have felt the spirit." It's true.
As we sang the closing hymn, I became so filled with the spirit that I couldn't make voice to the hymn. I felt the power and reality of the words "the spirit of God like a fire is burning". Those who came around me shed tears together as we all, member, missionary, and non-member alike, felt the Spirit of the Lord bear true witness to us all. Gio felt this feeling himself and expressed his desire to keep that with him, even through baptism!
I can tell you that the things we teach are the most important. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and Russel M. Nelson is His prophet today. The Book of Mormon is a glorious witness of these truths. I invite all to read the Book of Mormon and pray sincerely to God, the author and source of all truth, if it is true. I can promise you as His authorized servant that you will receive an answer! And how glorious that promise is!
I love you all,








Comments
Post a Comment